Please don’t take this the wrong way and think I am the Grinch. I love Christmas music and around here we play Christmas music on and off all year long. I do have to confess that there are a few songs that never need to be played again as far as I am concerned. I have listed them below. If you have songs that just grate on your nerves, please feel free to tell us which ones and why.
- Wham’s “Last Christmas” – How many times can the radio station play that over the holiday season? I know the radio stations have more Christmas songs than that they could play. (Oh, and dump Taylor Swift’s version of the song while you are at it.)
- Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You” – She does a whole lot of screeching. I could use another expression to describe her screech, but let’s just say, it sounds like someone has stepped on her toes!
- Elton John’s “Step Into Christmas” – I think he’s a great musician, but that song is overplayed.
- Paul McCartney’s song that has the words “simply having a wonderful Christmas time.” Sometimes I don’t get the titles to songs that are played on the radio. The DJs are good about naming the singer/band, but they don’t give the titles very often. Anyway, it’s the same lyrics over and over with a strange tune. Overplayed.
- Dido’s “Christmas Day” – They sound so lethargic when they are singing and the song goes on forever. And the gist of the song is that she lets a wandering man into her house where they get it on and he promises to come back on the next Christmas Day – a year, from that moment, folks. Since they play it every year he doesn’t sound like he’s coming back. Why would he? She gave him a jolly fun romp in the kip for the Christmas Day. He got what he wanted. He doesn’t need to come back. Could someone clue Dido in?